Piano Mix 1 – David Blackwell
Piano Mix 1 is packed full of brilliant music that has been specially arranged for easy piano. It’s a whirlwind of styles and genres from centuries ago through to the present day, and the repertoire reflects the type of music in our Piano syllabuses.
In Piano Mix 1 the pieces are mostly at Grade 1 standard, helping pianists progress to Grade 2 towards the end of the book. The series has been compiled and edited by David Blackwell with arrangements by Alan Bullard, Nikki Iles, Christopher Norton and Tim Richards to name a few. Every arrangement is enjoyable to play because it fits well under the pianist’s hands while remaining faithful to the original work.
Well-known music includes Handel’s ‘Fireworks Minuet’, Saint-Saëns’ ‘Lion’ from The Carnival of the Animals and opera classics from Bizet and Verdi. There are also lots of unsung melodies to be discovered, like Dowland’s ‘Lute Song’, Harry J. Lincoln’s ‘Bees-Wax Rag’ and a traditional Swiss piece called ‘In the Alps’.
From the orchestra to the opera and from folk to jazz, there’s a world of music at your fingertips!
- Fireworks Minuet: from Music for the Royal Fireworks, HWV 351 [George Frideric Handel]
- Lullaby: No. 4 from Five Songs, Op. 49 [Johannes Brahms]
- Strawberry Leaves [English Waits’ tune]
- The Schoolmaster: from Symphony No. 55, Hob. I:55 [Joseph Haydn]
- Farmer’s Song [Trad. Slovakian]
- March: from Rinaldo, HWV 7 [George Frideric Handel]
- Funeral March of a Marionette [Charles-François Gounod]
- Lute Song: from The Firste Booke of Songes or Ayres (1597) [John Dowland]
- In the Alps [Trad. Swiss]
- I want to be ready [Trad. Spiritual]
- La donna è mobile (from Rigoletto) [Giuseppe Verdi]
- El noi de la mare [Trad. Catalan]
- Fever [Dámaso Zabalza]
- March of the Toreador: from Carmen [Georges Bizet]
- Sing, Cuckoo! [Anon. English]
- A Little Walk with Schubert: from Violin Sonatina in D, D. 384 [Franz Schubert]
- Trumpet Tune: from King Arthur, Z. 628 [Henry Purcell]
- A Duet with Mozart: No. 10 from 12 Duos, K. 487 [Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart]
- Nocturne: from A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Op. 61 [Felix Mendelssohn]
- Ja-Da [Bob Carleton]
- The Music o’ Spey [James Scott Skinner]
- St. James Infirmary Blues [Joe Primrose]
- Royal March of the Lion: from The Carnival of the Animals [Camille Saint-Saëns]
- Bees-Wax Rag [Harry J. Lincoln]